The Ukrainian Institute of National Remembrance invites journalists, government officials, and civil society organizations to an international public meeting “Uprising in the Gulag: People Against Totalitarianism.”
May 25 marks the 70th anniversary of the uprising of prisoners in the Soviet Gulag camps in Norilsk. Two months later, on July 19, 1953, prisoners in Vorkuta also revolted.
People imprisoned by Soviet totalitarianism for political reasons managed to protest against the system of oppression in the most inhumane conditions. They appealed to human dignity and united people of different nationalities to resist the totalitarian machine.
Ukrainians played a significant role in the uprisings-they were their initiators and active participants.
The international public meeting aims to honor the memory of the participants of the uprisings and to promote knowledge about those events.
The event will be attended by:
- Permanent Representative of the President of Ukraine in the Autonomous Republic of Crimea Tamila Tasheva
- Vice Speaker of the Seimas of Lithuania Paulius Saugardas,
- Chairman of the Verkhovna Rada Committee on Humanitarian and Information Policy Mykyta Poturaev,
- Deputy Head of the Ukrainian Institute of National Memory Volodymyr Tylishchak,
- Lesia Bondaruk, researcher at the Ukrainian Institute of National Memory, PhD in History,
- President of the Association of Ukrainian Studies in Japan, Doctor of History, Doctor of Economics Okabe Yoshihiko
- Turganbek Allaniyazov, Professor of the Baikonur University of Zhezkazgan, Doctor of History,
- Chairman of the Board of the Laboratory for Research on the Soviet Past, Georgia, Irakli Khvadagiani
- historian, lecturer, grandson of the leader of the Norilsk uprising Yevhen Hrytsiak Taras Romaniuk,
- Mykhailo Tkachuk, director, author of the documentary series “The Riddle of the Norilsk Uprising”, winner of the Shevchenko Prize and the Vasyl Stus Prize.
The meeting will take place on the eve of the International Day of Heroes of the Struggle against Totalitarianism, established by the European Parliament.
Date and time: May 24, beginning at 17:00.
Location: Information and Exhibition Center of the Maidan Museum (Kyiv, 18/2 Independence Square, Trade Union Building, second floor).
To attend the meeting offline, please register.
The event will also be streamed live on the UINP YouTube channel and on the official Facebook pages of the UINP, the Information and Exhibition Center of the Maidan Museum and the National Museum of the Revolution of Dignity.